Updated: Nov 21, 2020
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of many compounds found in the hemp and cannabis plants but unlike THC it's non-intoxicating. CBD has gained popularity for its long list of benefits, which include improved sleep, reduced pain & inflammation, as well as anxiety relief .
What are the Benefits of Consuming CBD in Your Food?
The biggest benefit of CBD edibles is the taste and they are also convenient - instead of having to add an extra step into your daily routine, you can just add it to your diet. Oils are the most widely available products and so it makes sense that most people gravitate towards them but infusing CBD into your baking gives you an excuse to indulge in your favorite treats, while reaping the benefits of CBD all at the same time. You can bake CBD into pretty much anything and If you have a sweet tooth than this recipe is definitely for you!
Note: Although CBD doesn’t have a clear set boiling point. It’s more in the 160-180°C range. It is best to bake CBD at a temperature of below 170°C to prevent the CBD from evaporating.
In our brownie recipe we will be using Miss Envy, organic, cold-pressed, CBD-infused coconut oil for a healthy substitute to butter!
125ml ( ½cup) of Miss Envy CBD-infused organic coconut oil
2 eggs, large
½ cup of flour (or try almond flour for a gluten-free option!)
1 cup of sugar
⅓ cup of melted chocolate or cocoa powder (the cocoa powder will result in chewier brownies, while the chocolate will make firmer, fudge-like brownies)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon of natural sea salt
¼ teaspoon of baking powder
This batch will make 12 servings, with an average of 20mg CBD per brownie
1. Start by preheating your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix your CBD-infused coconut oil with your sugar. Add the vanilla extract and eggs, and then lightly blend into a coarse batter.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, mix your baking powder, chocolate/cocoa, sea salt, and flour. Stir the contents of the bowl into your batter until it becomes a uniform mixture.
4. Apply butter or cooking grease to a separate square baking pan (on bottom of pan and along the sides) and pour your mixture into the pan. Bake the pan in the oven for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow the pan to cool.
5. Cut the brownies into 12 pieces.
How Long Do The Effects Of Edibles last?
When consuming an edible it first passes through your digestive system in order for it to absorb into the bloodstream and you can expect this process to take place anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours after administration. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly how long the effect of the CBD will last but science tells us that your body can take anywhere between 6-8 hours to breakdown food, which is why many tout the benefit of using edibles in the sense that it can last longer in your system.