Updated: Sep 9
Its no secret that CBD has been a hot topic across the health and wellness industry - Celebrities swear by it, and even athletes are using it. By now everyone has heard about CBD oil but you may be wondering what exactly is CBD, and that's why we are here to help!
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol, also know as CBD, is a molecular compound found in cannabis plants proven to be an effective form of holistic treatment for a wide range of health conditions. CBD has been shown to modulate and repair many systems in the brain and body, through the Endocannabinoid System (ECS). Found in all mammals, the ECS is made up of several receptors that react only to cannabinoids such as CBD, and the more well known compound, THC. Through the ECS and other pathways in the body, CBD is able to help manage stress, anxiety, reduce pain and inflammation and improve your sleep.
What is the key difference between CBD & THC?
The key difference between CBD and THC, is that THC is responsible for the "high" associated when consuming cannabis, while CBD is 100% non-intoxicating and will not produce a sensation of feeling "high".
Hemp Derived CBD Oil vs. Cannabis Derived CBD Oil
CBD oil can be derived from a variety of cannabis plants, including hemp.
Cannabis Sativa, most commonly known as Hemp, is a type of cannabis plant that contains low levels of THC (0.3%) but higher amounts of CBD. CBD oil that is derived from hemp will contain 0.3% THC or less and CBD oil derived from a variety of other cannabis strains can contain up to 30% THC.
We specialize in hemp derived CBD products that contain 0.3% THC or less. Our products will not give you a body buzz or a sensation of feeling "high" but it can help manage symptoms caused by a variety of ailments.
Top 3 Reasons Why People Use CBD Oil Derived From Hemp
1. Anxiety - CBD has the ability to activate 5-HT1A, a serotonin sub-type that binds to the neurotransmitter serotonin which gives it an anti-anxiety effect.
2. Pain & Inflammation - CBD stimulates your Vanilloid (TRPV1) receptors, which is known to mediate pain perception, inflammation and body temperature. CBD also has the ability to influence the Adenosine A2A receptors, which is another pathway that CBD exerts its anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Sleep - Whether you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, CBD can help regulate your sleep cycles through the Encocannabinoid System. CBD also has the ability to relieve discomfort whether that stems from pain or a wandering mind that can't shut off - allowing for a more slumber restful sleep. Many studies also suggest that Cannabidiols ability to treat sleep related issues is a byproduct of its ability to curb underlying anxiety.
How To Take CBD
1. Sublingual - Oils
CBD oils are to be taken sublingual (under the tongue). For optimal absorption it is best to hold under your tongue for 1 minute. This method of intake can take anywhere between 1-5 minutes to take effect.
2. Inhalation - Vape Products
One of the best things about vaping CBD is that relief is nearly instant. Although, CBD is able to enter the blood stream directly through vaporization, it doesn't stay in the body for a long period time. You may find that you will need to vape throughout the day for longer lasting relief.
3. Topical - Applied to skin
Applying CBD topically is a great option when you want to target a specific area of the body to relieve muscle & joint pain, arthritis, back pain and all your problem areas. Using a topical to relieve pain can provide quicker relief as it is easily absorbed through the skin. Also, applying CBD onto the skin can be used to calm skin irritations, such as rosacea, psoriasis, dry skin and eczema.
When ingesting CBD, whether its in a capsule form or a gummy, this method of intake provides the longest lasting relief. When ingesting CBD you will need to anticipate that it can take anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hrs for digestion.
We carry a wide variety of CBD products so that you can find a CBD solution that works for you. Your wellness journey is yours alone– what works for some may not work for you. Exercise good judgement when experimenting with CBD and let us know which are your favorite products in the comments below!